Paid Internship – We Are Recruiting!
Three exclusive 9-month paid internships in Brussels and the UK for students following their final year of study from the Universities of Leeds, Sheffield and York
3 x Internships: White Rose Brussels Office
Deadline: 12pm (noon) Monday 30th March 2020
Interview date: w/c 18th May 2020. Interviews will be held in Leeds
Start date: Monday 7th September 2020 in Yorkshire
The White Rose Brussels Office
The White Rose University Consortium is a strategic partnership between three of the UK’s leading research intensive universities, Leeds, York and Sheffield.
The purpose of the White Rose Brussels (WRB) office is long-term strategic positioning of the three universities to key stakeholders in Brussels to influence EU research policy. The office also engages in horizon scanning and opportunity spotting in areas of strategic importance to the universities as well as information gathering. Please look at our website for more information: https://brussels.whiterose.ac.uk
There are 3 internships available; there will be one successful candidate from Leeds, one from Sheffield and one from York Universities.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Be responsible for information gathering on key areas of interest in EU research and education for the three universities and distil into short reports
- Monitoring opportunities for university staff to join key committees and panels in Brussels
- Assist in engaging with key Brussels stakeholders, such as meeting with European Commission officials, Members of the European Parliament, other Brussels-based liaison offices and alumni
- Assist with communication to the three universities of key developments of the WRB office
- Be responsible for the monitoring of key EU policy areas. This will entail writing policy reports, collating responses from the three universities and feeding back to the European Commission
- Set up, and take responsibility for the logistical aspects of WRB office events, including marketing, registration, and assisting with the running of events
- Create content for the WRB office website, such as adding new events, blogs, case studies and articles
- Utilise social media channels for the office including Twitter and LinkedIn
- Actively contribute to the production and publication of the bimonthly WRB office newsletter
- Create content for the Brussels Briefing email which is sent regularly to our partner university senior management and EU funding teams
- Work closely with the universities and other key communications stakeholders to raise the profile of the universities and the office in Brussels
The overall aim of the 3 internships is to assist with the successful strategic positioning of the three universities to all key stakeholders based in Brussels and the UK, to keep colleagues at the three universities updated on significant developments within EU research, innovation and education policy and to ensure the smooth running of the WRB office. There is frequent liaison with the White Rose University Consortium staff based in the UK.
You will spend the majority of your time in Brussels other than your initial month, which will be based in Yorkshire doing an induction. You will also need to return to the UK periodically for meetings or events as required for a period of time.
During your induction period specific lead responsibilities associated with the communications aspect of our office will be agreed with each of the 3 interns i.e. producing the newsletter, updating our website and drafting the EU briefing. All interns will be responsible for using our social media channels and producing articles for our website.
We are looking for 3 individuals who are/have:
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- An understanding of the political sensitivities involved with this role especially post BREXIT
- A keen interest in UK and EU research, innovation and education affairs
- Self-motivated and a confident self-starter
- Able to work independently
- Able to develop relationships with stakeholders at a range of levels
- Creative thinker able to engage audiences in the work of WRB office
- Experience of using all social media and competent to represent the office unsupervised on these platforms
- Knowledge of French or a desire to learn French
What you can gain from this internship
- Valuable experience of working in a European representative office and developing a good understanding of EU affairs
- Personal development and CV-enhancing project management and office management skills
- Highly relevant communication skills
- Chance to be a valued, respected member of our small diverse dynamic team
- A CV detailing education and experience (maximum 2 sides A4 in font no smaller than 10)
- A Covering letter structured on the following (maximum 2 sides A4 in font no smaller than 10)
- Why you want an internship with White Rose Brussels?
- What skills will you bring to this role?
- How will the opportunity help you progress on your career path
- Please write a brief, no more than one side of A4, giving an overview of how you would organise an event in Brussels, from start to finish.
At the interview, you will be asked to give a 5 minute presentation on:
‘Why I am the ideal candidate for an internship with the White Rose Brussels Office’
You must be able to start on Monday 7th September 2020 and will do a 1 month induction in Yorkshire prior to moving out to Brussels in the beginning of October 2020.
- The internship positions are open to all students from the Universities of Leeds, Sheffield and York who are due to graduate in 2020
- The internships will start on Monday 7th September 2020 and finish on Friday 11th June 2021
- The 3 interns will be based for the first month in the UK and then be seconded to the WRB office in Brussels for a maximum of 183 days (6 months) over the internship period with short periods of work back in the UK.
- The interns will receive a salary of £16,124 per annum on a pro rata basis.
- The interns will need to find their own accommodation in Brussels; we are able to help with suggested places to look and recommend locations to live in Brussels
- The office is located on the 5th floor of Nordic House, Rue du Luxembourg, in the heart of the EU quarter. The European Parliament building and European Commission buildings are within a 10 minute walk and nearby there are numerous representative and liaison offices. The spacious office has wifi, tea/coffee facilities and a desk for each intern
- The interns work from 9am – 5pm from Monday to Friday as well as occasional work outside of these hours
- Candidates must, by the start of their employment, be able to demonstrate they have permission to work in both the UK and the EU
We will run a number of sessions where you can meet our team, this is your opportunity to talk to Phil Holliday and one of our existing interns and ask questions about the role on an informal basis. There will be a session in Leeds, Sheffield and York during the week of 2nd March 2020. If you would like to attend one of these sessions, please contact Catriona Rawsthorne firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you would prefer an informal phone call, please contact Dr Phil Holliday, European Public Affairs Director, White Rose Brussels Office (email@example.com) +32 496 87 85 73.
Please send your CV, covering letter and event breakdown by email to Phil Holliday (firstname.lastname@example.org) by 12pm (noon) on Monday 30th March 2020.